Another decade came to an end. It is weird to look back and remember what it was like ten years ago. In our minds arise sounds of our favorite songs, happy and sad memories about personal lives, pictures of popular movies, lines from favorite books. It was a difficult decade for humanity, the decade of innovations, the decade of losses, the decade of gains.
But what is a decade anyway? It is a period of ten years. So, what is the last year of a decade? It is a period of ten years beginning with a year ending in 0 (or, by another reckoning, 1). Then, what is the past decade? The past decade is a period from 2010 till 2019. Literature Factory offers a walk down the memory lane and has prepared a list of top events and things that shaped the past decade, define decade and will forever imprint in our memories.
15. Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy with electric cars, solar panels and integrated renewable energy solutions for homes. They got even more popular after a fail at the presentation of their Cybertruck. LOL.
14. Fidget Spinners. Fidget spinners became popular toys in 2017, although similar devices had been invented as early as 1993. You saw them kids spin that thing everywhere and one could buy it anywhere, even at a gas station.
13. Vine. The Vine application was shut down that deprived many creators of income and ordinary people from a fresh source of memes. Many creators moved to YouTube and made a successful career. David Dobrik, Liza Koshy and Gabbie Hanna are among hundreds of people who got popular with their vines.
12. TV loses popularity. TV makes a step back making the way for Youtube and Netflix. Why watch endless ads if you can just choose a show or movie to watch and chill. Both platforms have significantly broadened the content, producing videos for any taste, age, nationality, and gender. Huge TV companies have to move part of their content to YouTube as well and that allowed them to get the views.
11. Athleisure. If you do not know what to wear – wear leggins. That is the motto of a couple of past years. And if it’s hot – put on biker shorts. Both trendy and comfy and this is what we want!
10. Bitcoin. This is a new generation of digital currency, created and working only on the Internet. Nobody controls it, currency emission occurs through the work of millions of computers around the world using a program for calculating mathematical algorithms. Will it change the future? Definitely!
9. Royal Weddings. No single princes anymore, girl! Kate Middleton and Prince William were married at Westminster Abbey in April 2011. Meghan Markle and Prince Harry got married in May 2018. Both weddings got millions of views worldwide. The brides wore gorgeous wedding dresses and grooms looked charming!
8. Natural Disasters. Omg, it is terrifying how many naturals disasters happened during the last decade – tsunamis, earthquakes, fires, heat waves, volcano eruptions. Time to take care of the planet, let’s hope for a better future that will start from 2020.
7. Clean eating. The fear of GMO products was followed by the fear of gluten. This gave a boost to the manufacturers who produce healthy products. We can only imagine how many avocado toasts were eaten and oat milk lattes were drunk during the last decade.
6. Apple. Apple, Inc. started the decade with the presentation of iPad and finished it with wireless earphones and the three-camera-phone! However, some people miss phones with jacks, we are enjoying our Air Pods. It makes the past decade even more exciting. What’s next, Apple, what’s next?
5. TikTok. What has just happened? The app was launched only in 2017 and within 2 years managed to become the most downloaded application with about 1 billion downloads. Incredible. Btw, if you have advice on how to stop watching tiktoks for three hours in a row, let us know!
4. Eco-friendly. You saw the clip with a turtle, right? Finally, people began thinking of the future of the environment and take action. Let’s reduce plastic usage and not take nature for granted. We are responsible for all the disasters that happen on the planet day by day.
3. Black Movies. BlackPanther, 12 Years a Slave, Creed, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Green Book, are only a few good movies about colored people. All of them were accepted by the audience and made a huge impact on society. Are we becoming more tolerant? Let’s hope.
2. Same-sex Marriages Legalized. This news makes us sad and happy at the same time. On the one hand, it is sad that it took us so much time to recognize the rights of other people to get married regardless of their sexual preferences. On the other hand, it is great that it has finally happened and society becomes more open-minded.
1. Trump. This guy managed to start and finish the decade with a bang! Being elected as a president of the US in 2016, that was a surprise for many, he was impeached at the end of 2019. He is the third president to face impeachment together with Andrew Johnson in 1868 and Bill Clinton in 1998.